Monday, September 7, 2009

September 6, 2009: San Jose

Sean: Is it really my last day in Costa Rica? I can’t believe that I am leaving super early tomorrow morning!

Hoping to pack a full day in, I had my alarm set for 5:30. We quickly threw on some clothes and jumped in the car to head for Manuel Antonio (A national park near Quepos that I previously visited with GAP). The drive took just over an hour but it turned out to be well worth it.

As we approached the park several people told us to pull over and park because that was where the nature hikes began. Having already visited the park, I knew that this was not true. We continued on our way and avoided all of the “naturalists” that wanted to take us on a tour. We paid our $10 and began our walk.

Almost immediately we started spotting wildlife (much more than last time I was here). Within the first five minutes we had found several lizards and birds. As we continued we found many animals ourselves and also had a peak at the ones that some of the naturalists found. These were often marked by large crowds of people staring up into the trees or into the forest.

On our way in saw a helmet head iguana, a white-face monkey (capuchin), several sloths (one was actually moving around and feeding), a few interesting spiders, and countless iguanas. Eventually we reached the beach and set our bags down to relax for a bit. My dad went in the water and I explored the sand. I even managed to see a small crab pop out of its hole to grab a bug and then proceed to tear it apart and eat it!

The way back was just as packed with wildlife. We stumbled upon a large troop of howler monkeys, an even bigger family of capuchins, a couple of basilisks, hundreds of hermit (or as Liam says Kermit) crabs, a green eyelash viper, and a deer that was not at all afraid of people. However, for me, the highlight of the walk was when we spotted a tiny squirrel monkey darting through the trees. I had never before seen a squirrel monkey and now I am fascinated. They are so tiny and cute (and fast)!

We got back to the car at about 10:30 and headed back for Jaco to pick up our things and check out of the hotel. When that was done we made our way into town to grab some lunch. It was one of the better meals I have had down here. We chowed down on some incredibly good sashimi and cheesy-garlic potatoes.

After a quick stop into some of the shops it was time to head back to San Jose. Everything went smoothly until we reached a point where the major highway was closed off. No detour signs were posted and I had to ask several people walking on the street which way to go. We ended up driving back to the nations capitol on a small two-lane highway.

Things were no easier once back into town. San Jose traffic is crazy! Somehow, we managed to navigate our way to a hotel near the airport (Best Western Irazu) and then to Avis to return the rental car. From there we headed into downtown San Jose for a final meal and a last taste of Costa Rica.

Needless to say, I had to have arroz con pollo (rice with chicken) for my final meal. After eating we walked down Calle Central and past all of the shops (most of which were closed). Still, it was fun to people watch and check out some of the street performers.

Back at the hotel things were much less interesting. I packed up my bag and then decied to take a dip in the pool. As soon as I finish typing this up I must head straight for bed. I have to get up at 3:30am to catch a shuttle to the airport for my early flight!

1 comment:

  1. That deer does not even look real! Sounds like a great, wildlife-filled last day. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete