Sunday, August 30, 2009

August 30, 2009: D-Day in San Jose

Owen: It is a sad, sad day. Almost everyone from the group is gone. D-day has arrived (departure day). In the morning, we woke up early, again, on accident. Sean was up at 6:30 on his computer, and I fear that we have fallen into a trend of going to bed early and getting up early, one that will be hard to break. At a reasonable hour, 9 or so, Emilie and Eve-lyn, two of the five other remaining members, knocked on our door. I was typing last night’s blog when they arrived, but I stopped part way through, and headed out to breakfast with them. We wandered around and stumbled upon a bakery across the street from the hospital. The brothers and I ordered a loaf of guava and something bread (can’t remember what else, something strange and sweet, but good nonetheless) and a juice to split. The whole meal cost us a little over one dollar in total, and was very tasty.

Throughout the meal, we reminisced about the trip, the good and the not as good (there weren’t many not so good). Joshua was a topic we laughed about for a while. He was the Rara Avis nature guide, who knew virtually nothing about nature, and he was a creeper, frankly. He would give informational speeches with the voice of an airline stewardess but even more exaggerated, while staring at Sean the whole time. Like seriously, creeper status. I could go on about him, but I won’t because I feel bad. We also talked about what we would put in our small backpacks. I repeat again, small backpacks with no valgubles in them (that was our way of mocking Danny, in a good way, did I mention he was awesome?).

The transportation to the airport was waiting for the girls when we returned to the hotel, so they grabbed their things and we said goodbye to our closest hommies of the trip. It was sad to see them go. Carl and Catalina are still here, but they are on their Honeymoon so we didn’t want to bother them too much. Sean seems very sad that everyone is leaving him, which gives me Heavy Boots (I finished my book today if you didn’t catch the reference).

Tomorrow we must get up before 3:30 to catch our ride to the airport. That will be rough. I’m sorry to see this trip come to an end, but all things must come to an end, which is what makes them worth doing. I had fun with everything we did. Honestly, I can’t think of one time I didn’t have a lot of fun (although Sean and Liam might disagree and say I wasn’t having fun during billiards, which I was but I am just competitive, and the table was slanted. Whatever…). I have to say goodbye to Costa Rica, for now, and thanks to everyone for making this one of the highlights of my life. PURA VIDA!

Liam: After our sad breakfast and last goodbyes, we rested in our room for a while before leaving to go explore San Jose. We walked the main road, only to be sadly disappointed to see the big market was closed. So, depressed we walked down the road again until we came to a pizza shop that looked really good. They had great deals to, a slice and a drink for about 1.50, and the slices were about a third of a pizza. We finished eating and walked back to hotel, stopping at many shops and purchasing a few things. When we arrived at our room again, we all went through the trips pictures. After a while we decided to go back out into the town and look for more things to buy, Owen found a shirt and bought it. We dropped the shirt and some of our stuff off at the room then went out to find a place for our last Costa Rican dinner. We stumbled upon and bar and grill and got some rice and chicken, the same as the first meal we had in Costa Rica, and it was very good. When we all finished we went back to the room and got ready for bed, typed up this blog, and watched a movie before having another early night.

Sean: Well, I think I messed up in planning this trip in a couple of ways. We did not need our extra day in San Jose. It is a nice town but not worthy of multiple days of exploration. I think it would have been more fun to leave the same day as everyone else. Secondly, I kind of wish I had done my extra week before this adventure started. I am finding it hard to gear up to go out on another week of activities without my brothers and without our traveling companions.

Luckily, a few days ago I found out my father decided to make a last minute trip to Costa Rica and accompany for the last week. Having some company will make things much more fun!

Today was fairly slow. We said goodbye to Emily and Eve-Lyn and then did some last minute shopping. We also spent a large amount of time on the computer going through our pictures and videos. Sadly, when I tried to burn a DVD copy of everything for my brothers to take home the burn failed. When this happened it was too late to get another once. Sorry Oregon family, you will have to wait a couple of weeks until I get home to see the pictures!

The rest of the day was spent reminiscing and talking about how awesome our trip was. We have a lot of great memories that will last a lifetime. But it is always sad to have it end. My brothers aren’t even gone yet and I miss them terribly.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic trip! Can't wait to see you all.
    Lots of love, M$D

    ReplyDelete